Oskar Blues Brewery will increase distribution throughout Southern Alabama, partnering with Gulf Distributing Company of Mobile, starting this week. The sales team has set up a number of events at on and off premise accounts in the region to celebrate the kick-off (see schedule below).
Oskar Blues first launched in Alabama in June 2012, and since has received a warm welcome from OB owner/founder Dale Katechis’ home state.
Additionally, Oskar Blues Brewery and Auburn University, Katechis’ alma mater, have forged a partnership to create a new on-line graduate-level certificate in Brewing Science and Operations. That beer education program starts in Fall 2014. Dale’s first ever beer, which would eventually become the award-winning, best-selling Dale’s Pale Ale, was brewed in a bathtub during his time at Auburn.
Oskar Blues recently announced a handful of new market launches for 2014, including Idaho, Kansas, Nevada and Delaware, in addition to southern Alabama.
The brewery packaged 59,000 bbls in 2011 and doubled that production, reaching over 119,000 bbls in 2013. That growth has been fueled by the addition of the second Tasty Weasel Taproom and Brevard, NC, brewery, which began brewing in December 2012. The Brevard-based brewery shipped more than 46,000 bbls in its first year of operation as East Coast distribution grew throughout the year.
Events in Southern Alabama this week:
Wednesday, January 8
- Oskar Blues Can Night featuring 19.2 Dale’s Pale Ale and Mama’s Little Yella Pils with live music and giveaways at Callaghan’s Irish Social Club in Oakleigh Historic District – 7:00 p.m.
Thursday, January 9
- Oskar Blues Tap Takeover at Mellow Mushroom in Daphne – 5 to 8 p.m.
- Oskar Blues Can Night featuring 19.2 Dale’s Pale Ale and Mama’s Little Yella Pils with live music and giveaways at The Brickyard – 9-11 p.m.
Friday, January 10
- Oskar Blues sampling at Cottage Hill Package Store – 6-8 p.m.
- Oskar Blues Bluegrass Tap Takeover featuring Fat Man Squeeze at LoDa Biergarten – 6 p.m.until…
About Oskar Blues Brewery
Founded as a brewpub by Dale Katechis in 1997, Oskar Blues Brewery launched the original craft beer-in-a-can with Dale’s Pale Ale in 2002 using a tabletop machine that sealed one can at a time. In 2008, the makers of the top-selling pale ale in ColoRADo moved into a 35,000-square-foot facility in Longmont, ColoRADo. The brewery has since experienced explosive growth—packaging 59,000 barrels of beer in 2011 and 86,750 barrels in 2012. In December of 2012, Oskar Blues opened the doors to anadditional brewery in Brevard, North Carolina. Together, the breweries packaged over 119,000 barrels of beer in 2013, distributing trail blazing craft brews to 32 U.S. states.