November 11, 2015–RECOMMENDED ACQUISITION OF SABMILLER PLC BY ANHEUSER-BUSCH INBEV SA/NV.
- The Boards of Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV (“AB InBev”) and SABMiller plc (“SABMiller”) are pleased to announce that they have reached agreement on the terms of a recommended acquisition of the entire issued and to be issued share capital of SABMiller by AB InBev.
- The Transaction will be implemented by means of the acquisition of SABMiller by Newco (a Belgian company to be formed for the purposes of the Transaction). AB InBev will also merge into Newco so that, following completion of the Transaction, Newco will be the new holding company for the Combined Group.
- Pursuant to the terms of the Transaction, each SABMiller Shareholder will be entitled to receive:
For each SABMiller Share: £44.00 in cash (the “Cash Consideration”)
- The Cash Consideration represents:
- a premium of approximately 50% to SABMiller’s closing share price of £29.34 on 14 September 2015 (being the last Business Day prior to renewed speculation of an approach from AB InBev); and
- a premium of approximately 36% to SABMiller’s three month volume weighted average share price of £32.31 to 14 September 2015.
- The Transaction will also include a Partial Share Alternative under which SABMiller Shareholders can elect to receive:
For each SABMiller Share: £3.7788 in cash
0.483969 Restricted Shares
in lieu of the full cash consideration to which they would otherwise be entitled under the Transaction (subject to scaling back in accordance with the terms of the Partial Share Alternative). The Partial Share Alternative is equivalent to a value of £41.85 per SABMiller Share on 10 November 2015. The stated value of the Partial Share Alternative is calculated before taking account of any discount for the unlisted nature of the Restricted Shares.
- The Partial Share Alternative represents, as at 10 November 2015:
- a premium of approximately 43% to SABMiller’s closing share price of £29.34 on 14 September 2015(being the last Business Day prior to renewed speculation of an approach from AB InBev); and
- a premium of approximately 30% to SABMiller’s three month volume weighted average share price of £32.31 to 14 September 2015.
- The Transaction values SABMiller’s entire issued and to be issued share capital at approximately £71 billion, as at 10 November 2015.
- SABMiller Shareholders will only be able to elect for the Partial Share Alternative in relation to their entire holding of SABMiller Shares and not part only. The Partial Share Alternative is limited to a maximum of 326,000,000 Restricted Shares and £2,545,387,824 in cash, which will be available for approximately 41.6% of the SABMiller Shares. To the extent that elections for the Partial Share Alternative cannot be satisfied in full, they will be scaled back pro rata to the size of such elections (or as near thereto as AB InBev in its absolute discretion considers practicable) and the balance of the consideration due to SABMiller Shareholders who have made such elections will be satisfied in cash in accordance with the terms of the Transaction.
- The Restricted Shares will be unlisted, not admitted to trading on any stock exchange, not capable of being deposited in an ADR programme and will be subject to, among other things, restrictions on transfer until converted into New Ordinary Shares. The Restricted Shares will be convertible at the election of the holder into New Ordinary Shares on a one-for-one basis with effect from the fifth anniversary of Completion. From Completion, such Restricted Shares will rank equally with the New Ordinary Shares as regards dividends and voting rights. Further details on Newco and the rights attaching to the Restricted Shares are set out in paragraph 10 and Appendix 6 to this Announcement.
- Under the terms of the Transaction, AB InBev has agreed that SABMiller Shareholders will be entitled to receive any dividends announced, declared or paid by SABMiller, in each case in the ordinary course (including on usual biannual declaration, record and payment dates) in respect of any completed six-month period ending 30 Septemberor 31 March prior to Completion of the Transaction, subject to and on the terms set out in paragraph 17 of this Announcement. Such dividends shall not exceed:
(i) US$0.2825 per SABMiller Share for the six month period ended 30 September 2015 and a further US$0.9375 per SABMiller Share for the six month period ending 31 March 2016 (totalling US$1.22 per SABMiller Share); and
(ii) in respect of any subsequent six month period ending 30 September or 31 March, an amount representing the same ratio of the amount of the dividend per SABMiller Share to adjusted earnings per SABMiller Share for the relevant six month period as compared to the ratio for the relevant six month period ended 30 September 2015 or 31 March 2016, respectively, without any consequential reduction in the Consideration in respect of each SABMiller Share payable under the Transaction, on the terms set out in paragraph 17 of this Announcement. If any dividend or other distribution is announced, declared, made or paid in respect of the SABMiller Shares on or after the date of this Announcement and prior to Completion, other than a Permitted Dividend, or in excess of the Permitted Dividends, AB InBev reserves the right to reduce the Consideration in respect of each SABMiller Share by an amount equivalent to all or part of any such excess, in the case of the Permitted Dividends, or otherwise by the amount of all or part of any such dividend or other distribution. For the avoidance of doubt, if Completion occurs after the announcement or declaration of a Permitted Dividend but before its payment date, SABMiller Shareholders will not be entitled to receive such dividend.
- The Cash Consideration and the cash element of the Partial Share Alternative are priced in pounds sterling. However, SABMiller Shareholders on the South African register will, as required, receive any cash consideration due to them under the terms of the Transaction in South African Rand. The Transaction Documents will include further details in relation to this currency exchange.
- AB InBev intends to seek a secondary (inward) listing of its ordinary shares on the JSE as soon as reasonably practicable after the date of this Announcement.
- Upon or shortly after Completion, the New Ordinary Shares will be listed on Euronext Brussels and it is also intended that they will, at the same time, be listed on the JSE and Mexico Stock Exchange and that American Depositary Shares (each representing a fixed ratio of New Ordinary Shares) will be listed on the NYSE.
- AB InBev believes the Transaction to be attractive to both companies’ shareholders, providing an extremely compelling opportunity for them.
- AB InBev believes the Transaction would create a truly global brewer, drawing on a similar heritage and shared passion for brewing and commitment to quality.
- Given the largely complementary geographical footprints and brand portfolios of AB InBev and SABMiller, the Combined Group would have operations in virtually every major beer market, and provide more choices for beer drinkers, including global and local brands, in new and existing markets around the world.